What is Biomedical Engineering?
Biomedical Engineering is the combination of biology and medicine with engineering. In other words, it is a bridge between biology, medicine, and engineering which connects all three of them.
What is the job of Biomedical Engineers?
Biomedical engineers are employed in the industry, in hospitals, in research facilities of educational and medical institutions, in teaching, and in government regulatory agencies. They often serve a coordinating or interfacing function, using their background in both engineering and medical fields.
In industry, they may create designs where an in-depth understanding of living systems and of technology is essential.
They may be involved in performance testing of new or proposed products.
Government positions often involve product testing and safety, as well as establishing safety standards for devices.
In the hospital, the biomedical engineer may provide advice on the selection and use of medical equipment, as well as supervise its performance testing and maintenance.
They may also build customized devices for special health care or research needs.
In research institutions, biomedical engineers supervise laboratories and equipment, and participate in or direct research activities in collaboration with other researchers with such backgrounds as medicine, physiology, and nursing.
Scope of Biomedical Engineering in India
- After doing BME, biomedical engineers can be employed in some MNC’s as Sales and Services Specialists.
- Biomedical engineers can work as a research engineer in some OEM Manufacturing companies.
- A biomedical engineer can work in the hospitals as a technician.
- Biomedical engineers can pursue Masters from IIT’s in order to get a good salary.
- Biomedical engineer can become a Biomedical Entrepreneur.
- Biomedical Engineer can do MBA in Hospital Management or Hospital Administration and become a Hospital manager.
People might say there is no scope in biomedical engineering, it is because they are not aware of all these things. I am a biomedical engineer and I know what is out there waiting for me after my graduation.